Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Ariana Delawari (formerly Lion of Panjshir) 7/30/09 - Space 15 Twenty, Hollywood, CA.



(Apologies for not updating for awhile - for the past month, I've been laid up with a cold/bronchitis, which of course affects concert going. As of now, I hope to catch up and start posting more again.)

Last Thursday, Ariana Delawari played a free concert at the courtyard of Space 15 Twenty supporting Lauren Dukoff's exhibit showcasing her new book "Family." This was a semi-acoustic sort of performance with her accompanied by a bassist and cellist. Unlike most of the shows put on here, this was a quieter one, with most of the attendees sitting on the ground listening attentively.

I first heard of Ariana Delawari when she was performing under the moniker "Lion of Panjshir back in 2007 when she opened for Bat For Lashes at Spaceland (oddly enough, a show that I ended up not getting to attend) However, last year, I did finally get to see Lion of Panjshir live purely by coincidence - she was playing on the same bill with at the now-departed Tangier's with Listing Ship, of whom I had come to see. I thought their performance was quite good and wished I had recorded it (which was probably just as well I didn't, because I ended up having gear problems), and wanted to see them again, which finally came in the opportunity of this recent show.

The setlist was a mix of older and newer tunes, with the standout song "San Francisco." It was definitely a unique performance with it's semi-acoustic format, which made it possible to hear this material with new arrangements.

Notes: There was a level adjustment at the beginning of the first song, and at a couple of points people can be heard moving seats around.

1.) We Came Home MP3
2.) San Francisco MP3
3.) ??? MP3
4.) Be Gone Taliban MP3
5.) Tree Hymn MP3
6.) Chesme Siah Daree MP3
7.) Don't Fight The Love MP3
8.) Pray To The Sun MP3
Text File

FLAC (lossless) files available upon request.

3 comments: