Saturday, March 21, 2009

Artichoke Heart Souffle 3/07/09 - Synchronicity, Los Angeles, CA.



Artichoke Heart Souffle is another one of those bands I heard about in a roundabout way. Back in 2006, they were playing on a bill with Jesca Hoop at The Hotel Cafe (more about her in the future), and I thought that was an interesting name for a band. Unfortunately, I didn't make the show, but the name stuck and I made a mental note to check out their music later.

However, that ended up being quite awhile later - about 2 years later to be exact. Part of the reason it took so for me to see them was because they are (or were, not sure about this) based in Orange Country, and mostly played in that area. In the past, I've driven the long distances for concerts, but these days I've been finding it difficult to do so (fluctuating gas prices have also had an effect on this)

Anyway, I did finally see Artichoke Heart Souffle live last November at the New Image Art Gallery out here. Twas a good show, but due to the semantics of the venue I choose not to record that night. I did pick up their two releases (their self-titled debut and the more-recently released "Who You Know") and have been listening ever since.

Now we come to this recent show, which turned out to be someone's birthday party. Artichoke Heart Souffle were part of the line-up that included LA-based The Chapin Sisters . They played a good set of older and newer material, with covers of the Spice Girl's "Wannabe" (also on the debut album) and Whitney Houston's "So Emotional." Indie-folk-rock covers of pop songs almost always equal the awesomeness.

This one turned out pretty well I think, levels may somewhat extreme. (when I do post-mastering, I prefer not to try to "normalize" the music to a uniform level because it's distracts too much from how the show sounded in the first place) The last song of the night was performed unplugged, so it will sound quieter than the others.

1.) Fell In Love At The P.O. MP3
2.) Wannabe (Spice Girls cover) MP3
3.) Doctor MP3
4.) Who You Know MP3
5.) So Emotional (Whitney Houston cover) MP3
6.) The Coast MP3
7.) Icing On The Cake MP3
8.) Tarantula Hawk Wasp MP3
9.) Whatever It Takes (false start) MP3
10.) Whatever It Takes MP3
11.) Don't Confuse This MP3
12.) Sunup to Sundown MP3
13.) Love Makes You Soft MP3
Text File

FLAC (loseless) files available upon request (by e-mail)

No comments:

Post a Comment